[rescue] Video card reco

Michael Free mfree80286 at adelphia.net
Thu Oct 24 20:23:25 CDT 2002

I used to swear by the old Trident chipset cards... it should be fairly easy
to find those in 4 meg PCI variants. Ought to be cheap as heck too, IIRC
they were about $30 *new*.  3D absolutely sucked but 2D was very
respectable, kept my K5-100 PC running games well past it's prime, until the
cheap taiwanese power supply decided to route ~70VAC over the 5V line...

Cirrus Logic made a really good, nicely compatible 2D chipset as well.

Of course, nowadays you can go to Compusa/walmart/etc and pick up a
brand-spanking new I/OMagic somethingorother or even a house brand for less
than $50, and have a warranty and support path too.

Mike Free