[rescue] Video card reco

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Thu Oct 24 10:10:08 CDT 2002

On Thu, Oct 24, 2002 at 09:53:53AM -0500, Scott Newell wrote:
> Need a recommendation on a FeeCee video card.  Something fairly cheap,
> 1280x1024 true color, PCI slot, decent 2D performance (it's used for web
> browsing).  My dad has one of those Computer Friend P-Pro machines, and the
> card won't do 1280x1024 at a decent color depth on his new LCD monitor.
> Used is ok.
>
> I've looked around the local places, but all they've got on hand are AGP.

My best recommendation would be an 4-8meg Matrox[0] of some sort.
Particularly, either a maxed out Millenium or MilleniumII, or a G200.

Such a card should cost very little.  For instance:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2063338982

I have such a card I would have been willing to sell, until I saw what
they cost on ebay.  For that sort of money, I don't think the money
would benefit me more than the card does.

BTW, a S3 Virge w/ 4megs should do the job.  Those cards are virtually
free, but in the case of the one I own, the signal is poor on all
monitors I've connected it to.

--
Joshua D. Boyd

[0] 1280x1024x3 fits in 4 megs of ram, but if the card insists on using
32bit color or the OS insists on double buffering on the card (Windows
doesn't, Xfree does for hardware 3D acceleration) then you will want 8
or more megs.  But if you get a Millenium, 4 megs should be enough under
either OS.