[rescue] Sun - PrestoServe and Software RAID

rescue at sunhelp.org rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Oct 23 13:47:34 CDT 2002

> > The three questions are:
> > 1.  What version of Solaris?
> 8 works.  9 probably will, though I've not tried it.
Cool.

> Sun only officially supports a single SS10/20 NVSIMM  per
> system, but two work fine.
Also cool.

> The NVSIMMs were very worth it with NFS v2, somewhat less so with v3.
> They still help quite a lot versus vanilla UFS, and provide a milder
> improvement versus Disksuite with logging on a separate spindle.
Yeah, I thought that it was no longer all that useful...but hey,
I figured I might as well play with them...

> > 2.  Anyone have the PrestoServe software available, since
> >     Sun has no longer "heard of it"?
>
> Yes, but not here.  You need the software package and a patch.
As I thought...from the docs I need to already have the partition
mounted, and then "presto-ize" it...so I'll just get things up
and going without the SW and hunt around for it later.

> > 3.  It looks as though the "Solaris Volume Manager" software
> >      would do what I need [...]  Any suggestions?
>
> You want Disksuite, it should be bundled with Solaris.
Thanks James--once I had a term for which to search, my searches
became much more productive.  It didn't help that I'd stripped
all the "Solstice" crap off all the systems I could access.

> I recommend printing out the PDF documentation from docs.sun.com and
> reading it_thoroughly_ before starting.  It's not hard but a good
> grasp of the terminology Sun uses is essential.

Thanks, will do!

  --Rip