[rescue] Sun - PrestoServe and Software RAID

rescue at sunhelp.org rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Oct 23 13:25:02 CDT 2002

So I have an SS20 with a PrestoServe NVSIMM (two actually,
although I'm not sure that more than one would get used),
a HVD SBUS card, and a fairly-well populated RSM214 shelf.
The mission is to turn this thing into a useful RAID5 array.

With that set of hardware, I think I'm limited to Solaris--unless
anyone knows for sure that everything's supported by *BSD
or Linux?  (No, from the docs I've found...)

The three questions are:
1.  What version of Solaris?  It's got Sol8 on it now and
     boots okay/sees all disks, but I think that PrestoServe
     is a separate piece of software.  What Solaris revs does
     it support, or should I just not bother with the NVSIMMs?

2.  Anyone have the PrestoServe software available, since
    Sun has no longer "heard of it"?

3.  It looks as though the "Solaris Volume Manager" software
     would do what I need (map a bunch of disks to a RAID5
     array in software) but it's only in Solaris 9--otherwise I'd
     need to pay for Veritas VX or find some other (low-cost?)
     solution.  Any suggestions?

  --Rip