[rescue] More free HP-UX licensing

roosmcd at dds.nl roosmcd at dds.nl
Wed Oct 23 06:47:47 CDT 2002

 From the HP website:

"What does the Unlimited User License cost?
There is no incremental cost for the Unlimited User License, even if it is
being installed as an upgrade to an earlier HP-UX version.

How do I get a codeword for the UUL?
There are no codewords needed to install the UUL software. The software has no
cost and is therefore unencrypted.

How do I tell if my current system needs to be upgraded to an Unlimited User
License?
Most HP Workstations that are connected to a network and are used primarily by
one person will function successfully with the 2-User configuration. It is
possible to encounter the user limitation if the system has one or more direct
connections, the most typical scenario being one or more terminals connected to
RS-232 Serial Ports. If your system is configured this way and the system
prevents a user from logging in, then you should consider the upgrade. Systems
that have already been upgraded to 8-user or 32-user should keep that
configuration unless it is proven necessary to upgrade.

How do I order the Unlimited User License to upgrade a legacy system?
Order B6837AA to receive the UUL certificate and printed instructions on how to
get the enabling software. There is no cost and there are no options required.
Note that the enabling software is not part of product B6837AA. The enabling
software needs to be installed in a separate step. Follow the printed
instructions to install the software that enables the Unlimited User License.

What is product B6837AA, and why would I need to order it?
Product B6837AA consists of the UUL certificate and printed instructions how to
get the enabling software. Order this product if you need a new license
certificate, such as to replace a lost UUL certificate, or if your system was
not delivered with one. There is no cost for this product and there are no
product options."

 Do I read from the first paragraph that I can legally upgrade from 10.20 to
11i with an UUL? Probably not :(. The encryption mentioned in the second
paragraphis is also rumoured to be highly HP-UX specific....

  greetings,
   Michiel