[rescue] (no subject)

Rico Pajarola rp_sunrescue at servium.ch
Tue Oct 22 11:52:26 CDT 2002

Jochen Kunz <jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
>> Linux is officially unsupported, but there are reports that it
>> boots diskless with rom console (scsi in the works).
>I thought Linux would run quite well on the 715 / 712 machines. At least
>it does on the 712. I saw it at the Linux-Tag even with X running.
>
>> Neither NetBSD nor OpenBSD work at
>> all, but do I want yet another Linux/xyBSD box?
>Ahh, NetBSD works at least a bit. AFAIK NetBSD is running multiuser on
>PA-RISC, but not that solid and the kernel pukes about some configs and
>refuses to boot.
I meant only that specific model. HP has released documentation on
some hardware in an effort to sponsor a linux port, but refuses to
do so for some hardware (mostly for older and for server class
machines). I guess they just don't have the documentation at all
in a form that could be released, and on some machines they just
don't want a linux port running, because it would be to much of a
competition to HP/UX)

Linux runs on most of the 7xx and B, C and J class workstations
and has frame buffer support for most of them. It partially supports
some A and L class Servers (modulo the proprietery I/O busses). It
also has experimental support for other machines including the E
class (ROM console, no scsi...).

NetBSD runs on most of the 7xx machines, with frame buffer support
for some of them. No other machines are supported.

OpenBSD used to have a hppa port, but it stalled at the stage where
it got to single user.

And then there's HPBSD, lites and mklinux. Does anybody have a copy
of HPBSD?

But for rescues sake, you should run HP/UX 9.10 on such a thing.
Too bad the HP/UX 9.0 cd case I got with the machine was empty...

--rp