[rescue] New toys

Jeff Workman jworkman at pimpworks.org
Tue Oct 22 08:31:55 CDT 2002

Stoned koala bears drooled eucalyptus spit in awe as Mike Meredith
exclaimed:

> On Tuesday 22 October 2002 3:14 am, Steve Hatle wrote:
>> that comes up appears to have 64 meg of RAM. I assume the other is
>> configured similarly.
>
> That's *really* tight (Alpha'a are a bit on the hungry side).

Yeah this is tight but workable.  I run a DEC3000 with 64 MB and it does a
fine job being a PostgreSQL server and hosting an eggdrop bot, among other
things.  Of course, I don't think I'd want to try running X on an alpha in
just 64 MB...that'd be painful. *shudder*

>> So- how to troubleshoot the one that doesn't come up? It appears to
>
> Are you sure it has any memory at all? It sounds possible that someone
> has ripped bits out of those two to beef up a third. And lack of memory
> may make booting up somewhat difficult.

Yeah you should be able to get into the SRM if you've got RAM.  If not,
something is broke.

>> with these beasties. If nothing else, can I put the CPU's and memory
>> from the one into the other and go quad CPU? I'm not much of a DEC
>
> You may have to add the PSU from one into the other to go to quad ... I
> seem to remember we needed a power supply upgrade when going to 3 CPUs
> on a 2100 at work.

<shameless plug>
I've got manuals for a ton of DEC stuff at http://www.pimpworks.org/dec
that might be of use to you.