[rescue] NVRAM

Scott Stevens sastevens at franklinisp.net
Mon Oct 21 12:24:21 CDT 2002

>Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 11:17:09 -0400 (EDT)
>From: Andrew Michael Eberbach <ameberba at student.math.uwaterloo.ca>
>To: rescue at sunhelp.org
>Subject: [rescue] NVRAM
>
>Hi all,
>Anyone have any NVRAM's kicking around for a SS1 that they can sell me?
>
>Thanks,
>Andrew

I have had good luck tacking in an external battery to revive the NVRAM on
my Sparc hardware.  A few times I've used a lithium coin battery but now I
just go down to Radio Shack and buy a dual-AAA cell battery holder and
hotglue it in on the chassis.  There are detailed instructions on how to
patch in an external battery connector at:
http://www.dbaseiv.net/sun/sun-nvram-hostid.faq.html#attach.   It basically
involves using an Xacto knife to make several minor incisions into the chip
package to expose contacts to which external battery leads can be attached.
I like it better than trying to find a replacement NVRAM because you can
easily replace the batteries with the power on, thus never again having to
reprogram a NVRAM from scratch.  But I'm a hardware guy and it's an
empowering experience for me to use a solder iron to service a
SparcStation.  Details for reprogramming it after replacing the battery, or
for if you go the route of buying a whole new module, are in the same FAQ.