[rescue] NiMH Batteries, test outside computer?

vraptor at employees.org vraptor at employees.org
Mon Oct 21 03:04:12 CDT 2002

Can anyone offer any pointers for testing batteries
outside of the computer that uses them?

I have several NiMH batteries for these Duos that I am
working on.  The Duos will not boot if they perceive the
installed battery as "bad".  I am going to try the trick
of resetting the power manager on the Duos to see if that
helps them recognize the batteries.

However, I was wondering if anyone could suggest how I
would go about testing these outside the computer to
verify their status.  I have the specs (Amh and full-charge
V) for the batteries.  Do I need to track down specs for
the contacts on the batteries before I start poking
around with a voltmeter?

I've got some "intro to electronics" books lying around
(one of the many things I haven't gotten to), so a basic
statement of what steps would be appropriate will
probably push me onto the right path.

Thanks--
=Nadine=