[rescue] A/UX, was RE: Mac: is this an X client?

Greg A. Woods woods at weird.com
Sun Oct 20 20:06:19 CDT 2002

[ On Sunday, October 20, 2002 at 20:52:15 (-0400), Eric Webb wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [rescue] A/UX, was RE: Mac: is this an X client?
>
> Is A/UX at all akin to Amix, or whatever the name was of the Unix flavor that
> Commodore sold for their Amiga line?  I have an A3000UX and one or two of the
> old 1/4" tapes (?) that came with it...

Nope.  Amiga UNIX was a true AT&T UNIX System V Release 4.0 port done
in-house by Comnodore.  A/UX was originally based on the much MUCH
earlier AT&T Unix System V Release 2.2 (~1985) port done initially for
Apple by UniSoft Corporation, but by the time 3.1 came out it had _many_
extensions from SysVr3 and 4.3BSD.  Even so it was pretty quirky and
antiquated even back when Apple first partnered with IBM and began using
and offering AIX on their PowerPC based servers.

I "test drove" an A3000UX for quite a while -- right up to the point
where Commodore flushed themselves down the toilet.  It was a very good
port, as good as any of the reference ports I'd worked with at about the
same time, while also giving really decent support to the hardware.  I
really wish I still had that machine!

--
								Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098;            <g.a.woods at ieee.org>;           <woods at robohack.ca>