[rescue] Mac: is this an X client?

Sheldon T. Hall shel at cmhcsys.com
Sun Oct 20 13:26:39 CDT 2002

"Al Potter" <apotter at spankingnuns.com> sez

> A/UX (Apple's old UNIX), will run on an SE/30, and I have one loaded up
and
> running at the office for nostalga's sake.  Preservationist that I am, the
> single button think is a killer, as is the small resolutoin of the screen.
> I won't even talk about the limited horsepower available.

Yeah, I've thought about the horsepower/mouse/screen issues, but I'd
forgotten about A/UX.  Just having A/UX running on an SE/30 might be amusing
all by itself.

> If you're rea;;y looking for a small, quiet. useful terminal in the
kitchen,
> a hacked Iopener is a much better choice.  Color, no fan, no spinning
disk,
> quick boot and can easily do ethernet over usb with a $10 adaptor.

I've thought about that, actually.  Pre-hacked iOpeners seem to go for less
than $100 on eBay these days....  I thought the iOpener was a great idea,
hardware-wise, but the company's business plan made no sense, and their
anti-hardware-hacking measures in the later models were a PR disaster.
Buying a virgin one sight-unseen might be a bit chancey, since you might get
one of the later one that seem to be much more difficult to hack.

I've also thought about an older laptop, which, if not too old, would have
the advantage of having a PCMCIA slot for a wireless NIC, as well as a
built-in pointing device.  Having fewer wires is a good thing.  I could
probably gen up a pull-out-drop-down under-cabinet shelf for one of these,
meaning it took up _no_ counterspace.

Still, the little SE/30 appeals....

-Shel