[rescue] ultra-1 question

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Sat Oct 19 13:57:17 CDT 2002

James <james at jdfogg.com> wrote:

> besides having trouble breaking the root password (I know all roots,
> but this must be one that predates me),  it is complaining that 64bit
> O/S is installed, but 32bit is default for this microprocessor.
>
> boot splash shows ultra-1, 167mhz, 256M dram.
>
> Would this be a 32 bit machine? I thought all ultras were 64 bit.

Nope.  64bit all the way.  There were some issues with the 64bit kernel
on the first Ultra processors that made it possible, under controlled
circumstances, for a programmer (if he had access to the box to run
code) to crash the system with malicious code.  I run the 64bit version
on my U1-170E with nary an issue.

> I has sol8 installed and I have the sol8 full distro boxed set.
>
> When I boot cdrom -s and try to mount c0t0d0s0 (that is the boot disk)
> it gives me a complaint the nfs syntax is hostname: yada yada.
>
> should I do mount /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s0 /a  ???
> or mount c0t0d0s0 /a  ???

Try mounting /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s0 and see if that works.

--
Kurt                "I remember that I've got a solid base of worms and
kurt at k-huhn.com      ant eggs.  I puke like a hero all night long."