[rescue] Wrong VRM

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Sat Oct 19 00:09:57 CDT 2002

THere seem to be so many types of VRM to choose from.  So far, all I can
figure out for sure is that whatever I get must be 40pins.  I don't know
about voltage (I see both 5v and 12v claim to work with a P2 and/or be
Intel spec 8.1 compliant), or anything else.

So, err, generally speaking, if I get the wrong VRM, does the machine
just fail, or can I actually damage something?

The is for an HP kayak machine of a vintage that maxes out a P2-333
cpus, BTW.  I have one VRM that is supposed to work with this machine
specifically (the HP part number on VRM match what's required), but
there isn't any other usefull printing on it to help solve the other
questions.  The people I bought this one from have me blocked from being
able to bid on anymore auctions of theirs (I threatened legal action
after they stalled on shipping my first VRM for months).  Sigh.

--
Joshua D. Boyd