[rescue] large lot of cheap 72pin memory on e bay

Sheldon T. Hall shel at cmhcsys.com
Fri Oct 18 11:12:39 CDT 2002

"Tim H." <lists at pellucidar.net> wrote

> IBM used funky SIMMS in some of the PS/2 stuff, like the model 70.  It
> had a different addressing scheme than normal memory.

I don't know about the "different addressing scheme" bit, but those SIMMs
are, errrrr, different.  I _think_ they have some resistors on some of the
pins, to tell the system what size the SIMMs are, and that's what keeps
"normal" SIMMS from working in the PS/2 systems that use those funky SIMMs.

PS/2s came in an amazing variety of shapes, sizes and internal designs.
Some were fairly normal, like my ISA/IDE Mod 30 286.  Some, like the Mod 70,
are an amazing mix of the brilliant and the braindead.  I've got a PS/2 mod
70 386 somewhere, and the brilliant bits (toolless case and internals) are
somewhat overshadowed by the braindead (the SIMMs, having to add a memory
board to hold 'em, the proprietary harddisk scheme).  The MCA bus is a
tossup: as a bus, it was much better than ISA/EISA, but IBM's decision to
keep it proprietary was a braindead marketing move at a time when "the
clones" were already driving the market.

ObRescue: Anyone got a set of AIX floppies for the PS/2 mod 70?

-Shel