[rescue] large lot of cheap 72pin memory on e bay

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Thu Oct 17 15:48:45 CDT 2002

On Thu, Oct 17, 2002 at 04:43:00PM -0400, Sheldon T. Hall wrote:
> "Joshua D Boyd" <jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu> said ...
>
> [snip]
>
> > And it would be cool to max the SS classic,  err but I'm not sure if it
> > is a parity machine.  I seem to remeber having swapped some memory from
> > an IPX to it...
>
> IPX memory will work in the Classic/LX boxes, but it's not the right spec.
> The IPX only requires 80 ns sticks, but the Classic/LX wants 60, I think.

Well, it could have been Classic memory that was stuck in the IPX before
I got it.  I just know that a dhcp/boot server doesn't require 64megs,
and it was nice to bump the classic's ram up a bit.

> Really maxing a Classic/LX requires two 32 meg sticks (in bank 0) and four
> 16 meggers in the other two banks, for a total of 128 MB.  I have a couple
> of machines set up like that, and they work fine.  The memory is FPM 36-bit
> real parity.

OK, well, I'll probably never take the classic beyond 96megs then.
Which still ain't shabby.

--
Joshua D. Boyd