[rescue] large lot of cheap 72pin memory on e bay

rescue at sunhelp.org rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Oct 17 10:02:40 CDT 2002

> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2061278414
>
> 100 pieces of 16meg 5V 72pin simms, both non-parity and parity.  Isn't
> this basically what the Indy and Indigo2s use, amoung other machines?

The FPM parity modules should (would IME) be usable in Indy/Indigo2
boxes, as well as in SPARC LX and similar boxes.  Those are probably
worth $4-6 each, but they probably make up no more than 20% of the
total.  I've bought from these folks before and they're reliable,
at least--but they make no guarantees about the composition of this
lot.  The non-parity modules are probably not useful unless one has
a lot of old macs or slow Pentium PC boxes.

> There is a good chance that some of it would be gold plated.
IME the gold-plated/non-gold-plated "must match" question is one
of those nice-to-have but non-essential things.  I've not found a
single system (out of sample size >30) which has ever had short-term
or long-term problems from a mismatch between the metal of the SIMM
socket pins and the metal pads on the SIMMs.  Has anyone else?

> I don't think that I really have the money to spend on this, but if
> someone from here bought it, I would certainly love to buy a number of
> sticks off of them for my macs and other machines.

Having a bunch of old macs (or a few really hungry Indy/I^2s) would be
about the only way this would be sensible for most of us IMHO.  If someone
does buy it and wants to get rid of some FPM parity memory, please drop
me a line.

  --Rip