[rescue] best of times/worst of times

Sheldon T. Hall shel at cmhcsys.com
Wed Oct 16 12:56:53 CDT 2002

Quoth "Michael Schiller" <schiller at agrijag.com>

> "Sheldon T. Hall" wrote:
> > I dunno.  I make "suit" money, but I telecommute from home 100% of the
time,
> > so I usually just wear a bathrobe.
>
> Are they hiring? I need a job like that! (I'll even do it for half of
> 'suit' pay!)

Good companies (and this is one) are always looking for good people, even in
bad times.

However, I should warn you that only a couple-dozen out of 160 employees
work anywhere but company HQ in Ohio, and most of those are either
salespeople or work in regional offices (Portland, Atlanta).  As far as I
know, I'm the only 100% telecommuting technical person we have.  I worked at
HQ for 8 months as a contractor, and 1.5 years as an employee before moving
back to the west coast and begining my telecommuting.

We do mental health and public health management and clinical systems.
Primary OSes are AIX, SCO, and HP-UX.  Languages are MF-COBOL, C, assembler,
Unix shells, and a proprietary programming language.  Data-base backend is
proprietary, but we're moving to SQL, someday.  Good company, but not a
main-line, career-building place to work.

My quals include 25 years in various parts of the computer biz, working in
23 languages under 9 OSes.  Worked for Peachtree Software and Crosstalk
Communications, consulted for NBC, Equifax, MCI, Rockwell, and many others.
Published author.  Guest lecturer at colleges.  Etc.

If you're serious, send me a resume (straight text or some popular word
processing format, like MS-Word) and I'll pass it along.

-Shel