[rescue] FrameMaker 5

Jeff Workman jworkman at pimpworks.org
Tue Oct 15 21:48:21 CDT 2002

I think I might have found the answer. I am posting this just in case
somebody else has the same issue in the future.

Stoned koala bears drooled eucalyptus spit in awe as Lionel Peterson
exclaimed:

> IIRC, there is software for a license server on the original media, you
> need to install that, then everything is fine. Again, YMMV, but that is
> what I remember. I got a copy of Framemaker 5.5 a while ago, and
> haven't used it much, but the media/manuals are a treasured posession
> of mine (used to work with it, always liked it)...

The license server is installed, but it won't run with just a "personal
license" installed in $FMHOME/fminit/licenses.

# ./fm_fls /usr/local/frame/fminit/licenses
/usr/local/frame/bin/sunxm.s5.sparc/fm_fls: license file
/usr/local/frame/fminit/licenses has no licenses to share!
# ./fmflsadm -flshost pantera ping
fmflsadm: No Fls running on host 'pantera'.
# ./fmflsadm -flshost localhost ping
fmflsadm: No Fls running on host 'localhost'.

Ahhh...now I am getting somewhere....what is this?

I get this if I run maker -personalLicenseOnly -nlverbose

This pops up when I click on the INFO button, which seems to be what
"delicenses" me...
maker: Portmapper didn't tell me where broadcaster is
maker: found licenses in $FMHOME
maker: 2002/10/15-22:33:10  FlcToFlbStartTracking
maker: 2002/10/15-22:33:10  startTracking rpcval 0
maker: Starting FrameMaker 5. Copyright (c) 1986-1996 Adobe Systems
Incorporated

Pasting "Portmapper didn't tell me where broadcaster is" into google gives
me this link:

http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/29e46.htm

Which tell me that Frame won't work on IPv6-enabled machines, both
solutions they offer involves disabling IPv6 at least temporarily.  BLAH!

It work, though.

-Jeff

--
Jeff Workman | jworkman at pimpworks.org | http://www.pimpworks.org