[rescue] SS2000E question

Skeezics Boondoggle skeezics at q7.com
Tue Oct 15 20:46:44 CDT 2002

On Tue, 15 Oct 2002 17:25:10 -0400, James <james at jdfogg.com> wrote:

> What CPU modules does an SS2000E take? Are they mbus and would the SM81
> work? P/N 501-3033.

You want the 50-, 60- or 85Mhz SuperSparc modules with 2MB of cache.  The
2000[E]'s are dual-XDbus machines, and can see/use the entire 2MB's.  Pop
those into an SS20 or SS1000[E] and they'll only use 1MB.  That part is a
1MB module, so you could use it in a '20 or a 1K... IIRC you can use a 1MB
part in the SC2000's, but the extra meg of cache is awfully nice, and
since no other Mbus machines can take advantage of it, why not max it out?
:-)

The Mbus bible (still linked off of sunhelp.org, I think) is quite
helpful...

It used to be that the SM81-2's were damned impossible to find and cost
Lots Of Money, but now they're all over the place and cheap - I've been
trying to quietly hoard them since I have 3 SC2000s on the way, and
possibly a fourth in the spring, and want to fill 'em up. :-)

Haven't been going after them very aggressively though, since fully-loaded
2K's pull about 4kW apiece, plus there's the CS6400 to think about... I'm
two floors up from an empty 35,000 sq ft gold-plated datacenter that Verio
sunk $20M into and then closed a year later... I just have to sigh,
deeply, every time the elevator passes that floor and I think about the
600 tons of A/C and several MW of power plant sitting in there idle, while
I ponder the power company's engineering costs of dragging a three-phase
feed into my house... sigh.

-- skeez