[rescue] Big tape drives

Jochen Kunz jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Tue Oct 15 15:39:17 CDT 2002

On 2002.10.15 17:23 Dave McGuire wrote:

>    The TU78 moves tape at 150 inches per second read/write, 400 inches
> per second rewind.  And it's a vacuum-column drive.
That is also true for the two drives connected to the Cyber machines.
(They have two machines. The newer air cooled 910 and an older water
cooled 810. The 810 is currently not in running order. The cooling needs
some plumbing...)

> >> so I won't be running one of those at home. :-(
> > What are the requirements of your Crays?
>    The J90 pulls about 6kW (but keep in mind it's a relatively recent
> CMOS machine)
Water cooled?
Do you know the ETA-10 machines?

> and the YMP/EL-94 (the only other one I've run regularly)
> pulls about 3kW.  I powered up an EL-98 about 1.5yrs ago and found
> that  it pulls about 8kW if memory serves.  All at 220V.
> Not that bad, really.
Beneath the CDC Cyber 910 is a YMP/EL-98. Additional 8KW...
The Cyber is also driven by 400 Hz thre phase power. So there is a big
80 kW motor-generator unit...

>    But the TU78 tape drive is much older than either the J90 or the
> YMP-ELs, so I suppose it's allowed. :-)
OK, but it is still a lot.
--

tsch|_,