[rescue] Big tape drives

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Tue Oct 15 10:23:23 CDT 2002

On Tuesday, October 15, 2002, at 07:41 AM, Jochen Kunz wrote:
>> That TU78 was a *nice* drive...faster than all shit.
>> It pulls something like 70A at 220V though,
> That are 15400 W!? This is a _lot_ for a tape drive. In fact that is
> enough to power a smal supercomputer. (AFAIK the entire CDC Cyper 910
> in Munich that is running every saturday needs about that.)

   The TU78 moves tape at 150 inches per second read/write, 400 inches
per second rewind.  And it's a vacuum-column drive.

>> so I won't be running one of those at home. :-(
> What are the requirements of your Crays?

   The J90 pulls about 6kW (but keep in mind it's a relatively recent
CMOS machine) and the YMP/EL-94 (the only other one I've run regularly)
pulls about 3kW.  I powered up an EL-98 about 1.5yrs ago and found that
it pulls about 8kW if memory serves.  All at 220V.  Not that bad,
really.

   But the TU78 tape drive is much older than either the J90 or the
YMP-ELs, so I suppose it's allowed. :-)

        -Dave

St. Petersburg, FL       reboot and upgrade."    -Jonathan Patschke