[rescue] newbie question

Sheldon T. Hall shel at cmhcsys.com
Sun Oct 13 17:27:03 CDT 2002

"Alys" <alys at skyviewmail.com> wrote

> Whenever I use "set" for anything I get  "Stack Underflow"... Any
> suggestions?

I think the command is "setenv" not just set.  Use "printenv" to see the
settings.  There's also "help" I think.

> Dave McGuire wrote:
>
> > On Sunday, October 13, 2002, at 05:13 PM, Alys wrote:
> >
> >> So I have an old "Super Workstation II+/50" and when I boot it up, I
> >> get:
> >>
> >> "Boot device: /sbus/le at 0,c00000    File and args:
> >> Internal loopback test -- Did not recieve expected loopback packet.
> >> Can't open boot device

It looks like it's trying to boot from the network.  The machine might be
set up to keep only its data locally, and get its programs, or some of them,
over the network.  If that's so, it's not going to boot from its own hard
disk.

While you're at the

> >> Type b (boot), c (continue), or n (new command mode)"

prompt, type n to get to the new command mode, then "probe-scsi" to see what
sort of disk it has.  If the disks capacity is less than about half-a-gig,
you'll need to up-size the disk in order to put an OS on it with much room
for anything else.

Some older Suns would only boot from a root partition of 1 gig or less,
later ones had a 2 gig limit.  Get the version number of the boot prom and
check back to see about that.

If it won't boot from the HD, you'll need a SCSI CD-ROM drive that will do
512-byte sectors, too, to use to booth the machine with a Solaris disk.

-Shel