[rescue] help me find cheap DDS tape media...

Sheldon T. Hall shel at cmhcsys.com
Sun Oct 13 13:49:36 CDT 2002

"Patrick Giagnocavo +1.717.201.3366" <patrick at zill.net> said ...

> I had some more time to look over my latest rescue, an ADIC 800E.
>
> This is based on the Sony TSL-S7000 drive, and appears to take DDS
> tapes.
>
> I am not terribly familiar with tape capacity for this kind of unit,
> but I need about 7 or 8 of these tapes to fill up the autoloader
> cartridge.  Specs say 8 tapes or 7 tapes plus cleaning cartridge.
>
> Where can I get such tapes cheaply?  Used is OK.

DDS tapes come is different varieties (DDS-2, DDS-3, etc) and different
lengths (90M, 120M, etc.) and some drives are particular about which they
want.

My HP drive, for example, works fine with DDS-2 90M tapes, but won't
recognize the existence of a DDS-2 120M tape.

That said, they aren't expensive, even at Office Depot, but do get the right
ones!

-Shel