[rescue] Big tape drives

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Sun Oct 13 11:51:00 CDT 2002

On Sunday, October 13, 2002, at 12:36 PM, Joshua D Boyd wrote:
>> Looking at Claude's web page (really, really old computers), I
>> suddenly became
>> interested in trying to find one of these old, upright magnetic tape
>> readers.
>> I thought it might be fun to gut it and put 19" rails inside... I
>> assume the
>> front covers on these things can be made to hinge....
>>
>> Any cloo where these can be found?
>
> Brian Hechinger and Dave McGuire recently got a haul, and from the
> sounds of it, they got more TE16s than they could use.

   Those TE16s will go with us to the grave, Josh...they're incredibly
difficult to find nowadays.

   BUT...I'm not sure what kind of drives are on Claude's web page, but
I assumed he wasn't talking about anything like a TE16...which is
indeed an upright 9-track magtape drive, but really is just a set of
rackmount components that can be put in any rack or set up on a table.
I assumed from what Eric said that the drive he saw was a big floor
standing box that IS a tape drive, not a big rack that contains a tape
drive.

        -Dave

St. Petersburg, FL       reboot and upgrade."    -Jonathan Patschke