[rescue] xman on IRIX

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Sat Oct 12 19:27:17 CDT 2002

On Sat, 12 Oct 2002, Sheldon T. Hall wrote:

> Lame as it is, I rather like xman ... but it won't read some man pages.  It
> complains that it can't find the programs "tbl" or "neqn" and, as it turns
> out, neither can I.
>
> Can someone tell me what package I'm missing?

You're missing the "Documentor's Workbench" unbundled package.  IRIX
does not ship with a working [nt]roff.  You want to install groff and
put this in /etc/profile:

  MANFMTCMD="/path/to/groff -man -Tascii"
  export MANFMTCMD

As much as I almost never suggest using GNU software over the SGI
equivalent, groff works as advertised, and the SGI software is
unobtanium.

--
Jonathan Patschke
 "you know, there are people who like having potatoes and jellyjars shoved up