[rescue] Is my drive dying?

Scott Newell newell at cei.net
Sat Oct 12 15:00:59 CDT 2002

>INFO FIELD == LBN (Logical Block Number of the sector)

Thanks.  I'd been digging through source, but couldn't locate that bit of
info.

>Make frequent backups! Don't trust that disk any longer. (Even better:

Luckily, I don't have to trust it.  I use the little IPX for CVS, serving
some web pages on the LAN, TeX, and I'm attempting to use it to do daily
snapshots (rsync and hardlinks) of some windows shares.  Nothing that can't
be rebuilt from backups pretty quickly.

>You may use sformat to test, reformat and repair the disk. (Sorry I
>have no URL handy. It's written by the same man who wrote cdrecord. The
>cdrecord home page is
>http://www.fokus.gmd.de/research/cc/glone/employees/joerg.schilling/private
/cdrecord.html

I rememeber trying to get sformat to run once before...had to build his
make program (smake?) first, then sformat.  I don't think I ever got it to
run under OpenBSD.  Maybe I'll try again.  Maybe this would also be a good
time to clean out the dust and upgrade the OS while I'm at it.

thanks all,
newell