[rescue] Sr. Irix Job w/DOE clearance

D.A. Muran-de Assereto dmuran at tuad.org
Sat Oct 12 11:53:28 CDT 2002

On Sat, 12 Oct 2002 12:18:30 -0400, Michael Schiller wrote
> Dave McGuire wrote:
>
> >    Be advised that this is very old information...I last held a security
> > clearance something like twelve years ago, and it was through
> > DoD/DISCO, not DoE.
> >
> >    You go to work for an organization without a clearance.  They apply
> > for a clearance for you.  When you get that clearance, and subsequently
> > leave that organization, your clearance persists for six months, then
> > expires.  I don't know if there's anything involved in "moving" your
> > clearance to a new company or agency, as I've never had to do that.

Well, depending on your level of clearance, it can persist for up to five
years, not six months. Things are a little different, but the schanges mostly
apply to those of us who need waivers for various issues; my foreign-born wife
hasn't caused me any clearance problems for the last 8 years, but now they are
a little more cautious.

Transferring your clearance does require something, and what that something
varies with the agencies/departments you are transferring between. I moved
between two DOD agenices with no trouble whatsoever, and State had no problems
with me either, but there are some agencies who are more particular.

Dave MdA