[rescue] more booty on the way

Francisco Javier Mesa-Martinez lefa at cats.ucsc.edu
Fri Oct 11 19:37:12 CDT 2002

On Fri, 11 Oct 2002, Dave McGuire wrote:

> On Friday, October 11, 2002, at 08:04 PM, Francisco Javier
> Mesa-Martinez wrote:
> >> In the Beginning there was nothing, which exploded - Yeah right...
> >
> > Actually there was an infinite amount of energy concentrated on a
> > single
> > tempo/spatial point (original singularity).....
>
>    Would that be the Pea Instanton, or a different theory?

Big bang theories require the presence of large amounts of energy before
the actual bang. Normally in the form of photons (so it is easier to deal
with the possible lack of actual mass). Basically physics laws hold very
nicelly once you accept that the energy was there to begin with, so we can
still keep the constant amount of E in the universe (E is neither
generated nor destroyed, simply transformed).

I believe the Pea Instanton tries to resolve the singularity issues... but
I do not know much about it, since many people do not take it seriously
due to Mr. Hawking's use of quantum tunneling to make his model work. It
is all a matter of deciding how "concentrated" was the primordial soup of
the instanton. Usually you can deal with it as being "infinitelly"
concentrated so that equations can match with the actual observations.