[rescue] Re: EBay treasure

Eric Dittman dittman at dittman.net
Fri Oct 11 13:52:13 CDT 2002

> > Well, legally you are entitled to them.  The question is,
> > do you want to do what is legal or what is moral?
>
> That's not necessarily true.  And you'd very likely end up in court,
> spending more money than the chips are worth.  What's worth more --
> accepting the seller made a mistake and taking a consolation
> prize/keeping a beneficial business relationship open, or taking him to
> court?

With small claims, the loser has to pay the court costs.

>  >
> > Now, he did mess up, and could be forced to honor the
> > deal.  However, I think a fair deal would be to give
> > you one in exchange for releasing him from the deal.
>
> He did mess up, but that does not force him to honor the deal.  However, I
> would encourage trying to meet somewhere in the middle, i.e. a free chip
> or something like that.

The auctions are legally binding.

> > One thing I'd do is look at what terms and conditions
> > he expects the buyer to adhere to, and base my response
> > on that.  For sellers with the outrageous "no wrong
> > moves or you're dead"-type T&C, I'd give no mercy.
> > For sellers with reasonable T&C, I'd work with them.
>
> Auctions are sticky, but technically you are making the offer to the
> seller.  So those terms are actually yours.  :)  And naturally they'll
> accept terms they wrote for the use of the bidders. :)

The way auctions works is the seller is making an offer to
sell the to highest bidder.  Unless they put a reserve price
on the auction, they are legally obligated to sell to the
highest bidder at the closing price.
--
Eric Dittman
dittman at dittman.net