[rescue] DEC Alphastation 255 & OS options

Chris Hedemark chris at yonderway.com
Thu Oct 10 21:27:08 CDT 2002

I got two of these wee beasties tonight.  266MHz, 64MB RAM, 9GB  HDD.
It is pouring rain now so they are still out in the car.  :-(   One of
them works 100% the other has some hardware issues so may be a parts
box or may be easily fixed, unsure at this time.

Having done more *BSD & Linux than I care to talk about right now, I'd
like to maybe explore some other options.  Are there any other free
OS's that do right by this hardware?  These are my first Alphas so I'm
not terribly familiar with what works best on them yet.  I checked out
http://www.tru64unix.compaq.com/noncommercial-unix/ and unfortunately
they want enthusiasts to hand over $99 for Tru64.  :-/

Chris Hedemark
Professional Computer Consulting & Videography
Hillsborough, NC
http://yonderway.com

"Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time." -Steve Wright