[rescue] Doh!

Walter Belgers walter+rescue at belgers.com
Wed Oct 9 03:55:10 CDT 2002

Dave McGuire wrote:

> > Tar may have problems with devices, named pipes etc.
>
>    I haven't seen a tar with such problems in many, many years.  Did you
> have a specific one in mind?

Well.. on my Sun 2/50.. ;-)

I did see problems with the compatibility between different versions of
tar. A more obvious problem with tar is that filenames (including path)
have a maximum length (255 on the top of my head), whereas cpio will
archive files with arbitrary long names.

Call me a weirdo, I'll stick with cpio :)

Walter.
--
Walter Belgers         "Si hoc signum legere potes, operis boni in rebus
walter at belgers.com       Latinis alacribus et fructuosis potiri potes!"