[rescue] reading old IBM 3490E tape?

Al Potter apotter at spankingnuns.com
Tue Oct 8 20:45:54 CDT 2002

mcguire at neurotica.com said:
> If anyone has suitable old hardware and can help him out, you can
> email him directly to <alans at wunderground.com>.
>
>    3490E is a popular IBM mainframe tape format, and is still
> more-or-less current.  Drives, unfortunately, are fairly expensive.  I
>  do know they made a SCSI version of the 3490E drive, but I don't know
>  anyone who has one.

I have NO IDEA that these drives are operational, or compatible, but....

I saw a 9 track drive in Weird Stuff (off Matilda) a couple of weeks ago.
It was in the as-is section in the back, so caveat emptor.

I also saw a 4/390 (I think?) rack rig with a sun 9 track drive at halted.
I'd call them first, as they are generally MUCH more clueful.

	www.weirdstuff.com
	www.halted.com

Hope this helps......

AL