[rescue] Linux help (was ZX coolness)

Al Potter apotter at spankingnuns.com
Tue Oct 8 20:38:41 CDT 2002

mcguire at neurotica.com said:
>  And the LANL people are messing with Linux for the same reason IBM,
> Sun, and all the other big shops are...because it's getting press.

No.

They are messing w/ Linux because there is clustering work there that is
VERY mature (goes back 5+ years from personal memory) that they can leverage
to get more MIPS/$$.

PC hardware is a win for them (now) because:

	- it's cheap up front
	- if it breaks in 2 years they don't care, cause they plan to replace
 	  it then anyway
	- did I mention that it's cheap?
	- if any single unit fails, given the clustering scheme in question,
	  they can replace it painlessly and without (significant) data loss

What they are running bears very little resemblance to "mainstream" linux
"distros".

Dave:  as an afficianado of high-end computing, I would have though you got
this.  They class of problem they typically work at LANL (Los Alamos
National Labs, ie Nuke Central) is typically classed as "embarrasingly
parallel" and lends itself very well to the type of clustering possible
here.  It really is a big win for them, and IIRC, they built their first
Beowulf cluster (around 80 2x proc Alphas) in 1997 or 1998.  It's definitely
NOT a fad or marketing-oriented decision.

AL