[rescue] fiber goodness

Jochen Kunz jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Tue Oct 8 14:19:43 CDT 2002

On 2002.10.08 18:14 Kris Kirby wrote:

> is the MIC the only cable than can be used with FDDI, or can I get an
> SC cable and just put the little ends into the mic connector?
There are MIC <=> ST and ST <=> SC cables, get some of them and ST-ST
adapters to connect them. Unfortunately I have never seen MIC <=> SC
cables. I have need for several of them.

You can disassemble the SC connector and put the ferrule of a SC
connector into the MIC connector. (Note that you can't disassemble a SC
connector without destroying it. At least the ones I have seen.) The
ferrule diameter is the same. I have done this with some already damaged
cables from a dumpster dive session. It works, but is a bit fragil.
--

tsch|_,
         Jochen