[rescue] fiber goodness

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Tue Oct 8 13:00:09 CDT 2002

On Tuesday, October 8, 2002, at 01:57 PM, Michael Schiller wrote:
>>    Proper cables, though, with any connectors commonly used for FDDI
>> (MIC, SC, and ST) are always on eBay for cheap, though.
>
> Are FDDI fiber cables any different than other types of cables? I just
> resetup my SS1000 and it's fiber array, and rather than using a Sun
> cable,
> I tried to use a cable I'd used before for FDDI (and it worked fine
> there)
> and it wouldn't work. As soon as I put a Sun cable back on it worked
> fine.
> I think I've used the Sun cables before for FDDI, but apparently the
> SSA's
> don't like non Sun cables?

   Well FDDI uses FDDI cables, and FC-AL uses FC-AL cables. ;)

   FDDI is typically 62.5/125 fiber, and FC-AL is usually 50/125.
Neither is really any more common or more weird than the other, they're
just...well, different types of cable.

       -Dave

St. Petersburg, FL       reboot and upgrade."    -Jonathan Patschke