[rescue] Linux help (was ZX coolness)

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Tue Oct 8 12:45:15 CDT 2002

On Tue, Oct 08, 2002 at 01:34:57PM -0400, Dave McGuire wrote:
> On Tuesday, October 8, 2002, at 01:03 PM, Joshua D Boyd wrote:
> >The next linux distro I try is going to be Simply GNUstep on a P166
> >that
> >I have lieing around.
>
>   Distro?  DISTRO!?
>
>   You really ARE turning into a Linux weenie, Josh.

Simply GNUstep isn't just a linux distro.  It is an attempt to resurrect
Nextstep with the linux kernel instead of the original mach kernel.
Yes, it might be a bit misguided to be using the linux kernel versus the
netbsd kernel or hurd kernel (which would still have mach), but at least
they are trying something cool.

How many other linux distros have you seen me mention wanting to try?  I
think I once mentioned wanting to try one that was trying to be a small
talk OS (squeak running on the frame buffer console started on bootup to
a default user.  All command line access occuring through a terminal
emulator written in squeak, etc).  But it's not like you've seen me
talking about wanting to have a seperate redhat machine, a seperate
slackware machine, etc.  I just realize that on the desktop, linux has
the best hardware support, and additionally, though we might not like
that it is linux instead of NetBSD, there are some cool projects going
on.

For instance, did you hear about the new LANL super computer going in?
They are using diskless linuxbios machines that pull their filesystems
over the network.  They also have added SSI support, and they have added
namespace support.  I think this is darn cool stuff, even if I bet
NetBSD would be better[0].  Do any of the free BSDs have such
capabilities?

--
Joshua D. Boyd

[0] They are trying to deal with the latency and bandwidth problems that
occur for tasks that don't split up over MPI like systems over 100mbit
ethernet well.  And it seem to me that the best place to start is with
the best possible TCP/IP stack (i.e. the BSD one), then add all the
fancy SSI and namespace stuff, and the fancy ultra highspeed/low latency
networking gear.