[rescue] Linux help (was ZX coolness)

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Tue Oct 8 12:03:15 CDT 2002

On Tue, Oct 08, 2002 at 11:51:40AM -0500, Shawn Wallbridge wrote:

> It uses something called portage. It's basically a ports tree and things
> are downloaded and compiled when you install it.
>
> The install is more complicated than Debian (you basically do everything
> by hand), but the guide is really nice and your entire system is
> compiled for you.
>
> I love it. It took a while to compile everything, but it is fast. They
> are very bleeding edge. I am running the latest KDE, OpenOffice,
> Evolution and it is very purdy.

I find I don't really feel the need to be cutting edge in most areas.  I
don't use KDE, OpenOffice, or evolution.  I have most of GNOME loaded,
but don't use it, and only installed it for Gnumeric and Gnucash (which
I never got around to going back to find out why it is failing).  I
spend most of my time in rxvts and emacs, and what "cutting edge" stuff
I need, I install myself (like XMMS, some video playing stuff, some
imaging libraries, the gimp, etc).

The next linux distro I try is going to be Simply GNUstep on a P166 that
I have lieing around.

--
Joshua D. Boyd