[rescue] Pallet of Sun IPX systems - Brisbane, Australia

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Mon Oct 7 11:55:08 CDT 2002

On Mon, Oct 07, 2002 at 12:46:32PM -0400, Sheldon T. Hall wrote:

> > A note for the future though.  I think this experience emphasises the
> > wisdom of only bringing in the minimum number of people needed to pull
> > of the purchase.  So for instance, maybe 5 people in addition to Dave.
> > Then you have far less people to deal with for splitting things up.  All
> > the people who only wanted one or 2 machines could have dealt with the
> > 5.
>
> Hmmm.  Multi-Level Rescuing ....

Well, if the 5 personally wanted all the machines they got, then they
could all take them, and not pass any on.

I'm just saying that if I was in the place of Dave on a future deal (and
I was strongly considering fronting all the money until Dave volunteered
to), I would insiste on dealing with the minimum number of people
possible to prevent things from dragging on with people who are
minimally invested causing problems with the sorting/division process.

Then those minimal number of people could do what they wanted with what
they got, like pass them on at cost to people who only wanted one or two
machines, or try to ebay them, or keep them all to build a large
distributed system.  Basically, there is a reason some businesses have
multiple levels of distribution, and it is probably a sound idea for
rescues too.

--
Joshua D. Boyd