[rescue] Solaris 86 on non-HCL hardware

Linc Fessenden linc at thelinuxlink.net
Mon Oct 7 06:54:25 CDT 2002

On Sun, 6 Oct 2002, Sheldon T. Hall wrote:

> Can you point me to the place on the NetBSD site giving the instructions for
> that?  I've found 'em on the OpenBSD site, but not on the NetBSD site.

ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-1.6/i386/INSTALL.html

> Or am I missing something basic here?  I can certainly FTP the files or
> something, but if I wanted to being up a "bare metal" machine with no OS on
> it, I'd want to be able to boot it from a NetBSD floppy and have that guide
> me.  That seems to be what OpenBSD does, but I can't find similar
> instructions on the NetBSD site.

Well, in a nutshell here is what you do...
Download the floppy images for your disired distro.  You'll find them on
netbsd's ftp site at
(generally) ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/NetBSD/NetBSD-1.6/(your archetectire
here)/installation/floppy...
There are generally 2 floppy images you need - for example I used the
boot1.fs and boot2.fs.  Download those images and dd them to a clean
floppy.  Slap the first floppy in and reboot.  You'll be prompted for the
second when it's time.  Follow the directions as they come along and when
you are asked where you want to install the packages from choose
ftp. Follow the prompts from there and you'll be all set.

--
-Linc Fessenden