[rescue] A new beginning

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Mon Oct 7 00:19:15 CDT 2002

On Sun, Oct 06, 2002 at 11:32:52PM -0500, Jonathan C Patschke wrote:
> On Sunday, October 6, 2002, at 11:28  PM, Joshua D Boyd wrote:
>
> >She is even warming up to the idea of a voice controlled computer in
> >the
> >bathroom (after all, who wants to get out of the bath to control music
> >playback, when you can just speak a command?).
>
> How would you handle background noise and echoes?  Showers and baths
> are pretty noisy and echoey places.

There are some things that are supposed to be able to cut through noise
well for limited vocabularies.  But, it is an area that would require
much research.  This isn't an immediate plan.  Just a long distant
dream.

On a related note though, has anyone tried CMU Sphinx?  It is a free
voice recognition system, but it doesn't look easy to build, and they
don't seem to have .debs.  I want to try it someday, but I've never felt
I've had time based on ther percieved difficulty.

--
Joshua D. Boyd