[rescue] Solaris 86 on non-HCL hardware

Sheldon T. Hall shel at cmhcsys.com
Sun Oct 6 10:47:26 CDT 2002

"Lionel Peterson" <lionel4287 at yahoo.com> says

> P60 - aren't they *slower* than, say, a 486/100?

After I retired this particular P60 from its duties as a development machine
for some SCO software, I ran Win95 on it for a while.  It wasn't really all
that slow, actualy.  I'd rate it as a pretty snappy machine, for a sub-100
Pentium.

FWIW, in '93, after the truck line delivered the DEC machines to my house, a
DEC field circus guy came by to set them up, add some memory, and install
the OS.  To install the memory he  spread out his anti-static mat, fitted
his wrist strap, disassembled the machine, unpacked the sticks from their
special plastic anti-static carriers, and oh-so-gently slid the SIMMs into
place.  Given that he was installing what was then about $5,000 worth of
$60-per-megabyte semiconductors, his care wasn't excessive.  Nowadays, of
course ....

-Shel