[rescue] Making the network the computer

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 3 07:40:09 CDT 2002

--- David Rouse <david at rouseworld.org> wrote:

> We've got a Ultra 1 running Progress (the commercial software), two
> Progress
> database packages and a cobol accounting package. On the Ultra 1 is
> two SCSI
> controllers (the kind with the built-in ethernet) and four unipacks
> set up as a
> 0+1 DiskSuite RAID. We've got a mix of PCs and Wyse terminals
> accessing the apps
> (traditional curses type UI).
>
> We've been thinking about replacing this with a heftier machine,
> everyone we've
> talked to has been "Sun 280" or Sun "480." I'm sure that would be
> nice, but I've
> been thinking...

Wow, that is a big jump in processor speed/system performance - what is
the driver - Affordable support, increase in work load, what?

Just curious - for a few $$ you could throw several U60s at this
"problem" (each has dual SCSI chains built-in) and save *thousands* of
dollars...

just curious

Lionel

=====