[rescue] SGI I2 Impact rather cheap on eBay

Matthew Haas wedge at lightlink.com
Wed Oct 2 08:56:17 CDT 2002

On Wed, 2 Oct 2002, Dave McGuire wrote:

>    What?!  No way.  I've put dozens (literally) of completely random
> SCSI drives in Indigo^2 and Indy machines with excellent
> results...Never a problem.  I'm quite sure that NONE of them had
> SGI-related firmware.

 Really, I've spent the better half of many a saturday trying drive after
drive with little to no success. Seagates, Quantums, IBMs... often getting
teased by having it be seen by the SGI, then only to spit out lots of
errors saying it doesn't like the disklabel, or some other quibble. (And
this is when I'm in fx trying to format it). Trying to boot IRIX with one
of these drives is no different, I get lots of errors when booting.

 But, if I take any one of these drives and put it in a SPARC, it works
fine.

 Not that it makes any difference... the Indigo2 & Indy were both older
R4x00 model machines... could an older chipset be a possibility?

 Just my $0.02, (and a fellow listmember can attest to this, as we were
both monkeying with this). You seem to have had more luck, I wish my
experience was as pleasant.

---
 Matthew Haas           Squirrel's Law #209203923: "Thou shalt ignoreth
 Corning/Geneseo, NY       all RAM specifications, they're noo scottish"