[rescue] SGI I2 Impact rather cheap on eBay

Matthew Haas wedge at lightlink.com
Tue Oct 1 23:07:49 CDT 2002

On Tue, 1 Oct 2002, dave venable wrote:

> I just won it for about $80.

 Not bad, not bad at all.

> Anybody have a drive and sled for sale?  Will regular hds work on this
> machine, if I format them from the Irix CD? I have a CD that works on
> Sparcs, and it should work on this.

 Just because it works on a SPARC doesn't mean the SGI will like it. My
Sun machines love all my Plextor drives like it's the greatest thing since
sliced bread, but all my SGIs have cried fowl. If you have a Toshiba or
NEC drive they generally work without problem. (Of course being able to
play Audio CDs using audio-over-scsi is another matter entirely--
most Toshiba drives can do it).

 The hard drive may be another issue.. I know both my Indigo and Indy take
offense to most SCSI drives I throw at it (it considers them ghetto SCSI,
even though my SPARCs love 'em). Supposedly you need special firmware on
the hard drive for it to play nice in the SGI. YMMV... possibly if you run
it as an external drive.

 The Indigo, Indy, and Indigo2 can be extremely picky machines when it
comes to certain types of hardware. Not to mention lots of "it works, but
not quite" types of scenarios.

> What version of Irix is the sweet spot for this machine?

 IRIX 6.5, the latest you can snag.

 Does anyone have IRIX 6.5 > 7 feature release in an ISO form somewhere to
download?

---
 Matthew Haas           Squirrel's Law #209203923: "Thou shalt ignoreth
 Corning/Geneseo, NY       all RAM specifications, they're noo scottish"