[rescue] Linux

Bill Vinson billvinson at nc.rr.com
Thu Nov 28 15:22:16 CST 2002

On Thu, Nov 28, 2002 at 09:54:26AM -0500, Carl R. Friend wrote:
>    Bill Bradford comments:
>
> > On Wed, Nov 27, 2002 at 08:05:08PM -0800, paul savage wrote:
> > > I have some Sparc 20's with dual and quad cpu's, 125
> > > and 150Mhz. What is the best brand of Linux to run on
> > > these machines. Also what would be good on a U60?
> >
> > Solaris 9.
>
>    If he hadn't said that, I was going to.  I've heard rumours,
> though, that the newest cut of S9 dropped support for the sun4m
> line.  Is that true, or just vicious rumour-mongering?
>
>    Why in the world do people insist on loading the latest
> version of L*x or *BSD on hardware that has its own perfectly
> good OS?  It's like folks who want to get *BSD running on
> PDP-10 iron.  WHY?????!

[SNIP]

Well, I am traditionally a Linux user that became quite fond of OpenBSD
and am fairly split on which one I like better.  I feel comfortable with
both.  I got a U1 143 with 192MB RAM now and loaded Solaris 9 on it.

Fairly impressed with the installation.  However, Sun's tools seem dog
slow (Sun Management Console - do I have that right? I am not at the
box).  I believe this is probably due to the use of Java. I also have
tried PatchPro and it just hung on me.  The tools seem nice but I am so
far unimpressed.  The fact that it doesn't come with a compiler is an
annoyance (or I just haven't found it yet).  So far, I see very little
that makes it more impressive than Linux or BSD.  I can understand it
feels more comfortable to someone more used to Solaris.  It also is
obviously a mature OS, however, I don't feel that much of it seems more
stable than Linux or *BSD.  Just a note, I am ignoring high-end
computing in these assumptions as my basis is simply from a home user
who doesn't need enterprise scalability nor did I grow up with Solaris.

All that said, I am still hesitant to wipe the drive as I want to see
where I can take this box, and I do want to learn more about Solaris.
Anyone got any good hints for a Linux/*BSD user to make the adjustment
to Solaris more comfortable? :)

Just my 2 cents,
Bill