[rescue] running Netra headless (new rescue)

William Enestvedt Will.Enestvedt at jwu.edu
Thu Nov 21 11:28:43 CST 2002

> Now I am on the track of a USB-serial adapter.  Thanks to
> those of you that have suggested it.

   I've heard good things about a Belkin adapter; the one I used on this
Compaq laptop is a Targus PA088 (which doesn't appear on their site, though
something similar should).

> Anyway, above Will mentions the "Sun-supplied serial-to-RJ45 adapter".
> I didn't get that with the Netra.  This cable would be RJ-45
> on one end -- what kind of connector is on the other?

   Maybe these only come with the Sun Fire systems (like my V100's), but there
were two Cat5 cables in the shipping box: one for network access and one for
the LOM port. Since the cables are RJ45 at both ends, the box also contains a
variety of RJ45-to-whatever adapters for fitting the cable to the port(s)
you've got. (Mine are all next door, so I can't enumerate just what they gave
me.)

> Is this something I can go buy from my local store or does
> anyone know if it is a strange, Sun-only thing...

   Hardly seem's like a hen's tooth. But that may depend on where you live.
:7)
-wde
--
Will Enestvedt