[rescue] Video cable

Jochen Kunz jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Wed Nov 20 13:43:44 CST 2002

On 2002.11.20 14:38 William Enestvedt wrote:

> > I ended up using a 3w3 <-> 3 bnc cable and a 13w3 <-> 3bnc
> > cable with 3 female-female bnc adapters between them.
>    Didn't that degrade your video signal to approximately
> UFH-Saturday-afternoon-Godzilla-triple-feature quality?  :7)
I am using currently this wiring to connect a Sun monitor to the Alpha
in the next room:
Self made VGA => BNC cable with conpisite sync adapter, 4 m long.
BNC => BNC extension taken from a Sun 3/260, 4 m or 5 m long.
BNC => 13W3 Adapter, 10 cm.
13W3 => 13W3 extension cable, 4 m long, goes through the wall. :-)
13W3 cable of the monitor, 1.5 m long.
running at 1280 x 1024 @ 75 Hz with excellent picture quality.
The trick is to use good connectors and, much more importand, good cable
with the right impedance and low damping.
--

tsch|_,
         Jochen