[rescue] O2

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Fri May 31 19:37:00 CDT 2002

On Fri, May 31, 2002 at 07:30:27PM -0500, Shawn Wallbridge wrote:
> We outsource it. If anything I think we would look at getting a laser film
> writer, but that's many $100k (I think).

What do those film writers used for prints use?  I was kicking around
the idea of buying one and retrofitting it with an 8mm movie camera
instead of a 35mm still camera.  I would expect that a 35mm movie
camera could be used, but those are costly, and 8mm is cheap.

That would be soo cool.  Filming on PAL[1] Hi8 (or PAL DV, but I'm
desperate enough for a camera that Hi8 is starting to look good), then
editing digitally, and printing to real film.

Such film printers are often less than $300.  Obviously hacking them
to support movie style film is a pain, but if they are so cheap, then
why are the ones for movies so expensive?

--
Joshua D. Boyd

[1] Why PAL?  Slightly higher resolution, and easier to convert to
    24fps than NTSC is.