[rescue] SS10 HD bracket - now what is...

dave at cca.org dave at cca.org
Thu May 30 21:40:07 CDT 2002

apotter at spankingnuns.com writes:

>schiller at zaphod.agrijag.com said:
>> Do you use the machine as an NFS server? The only thing those nvsimms
>> are used for is NFS acceleration. And then you need the proper
>> software.

>Sorry if I'm late posting, catching up....

>This is simply not true.  The prestoserve docs read that they provide a
>cache for ALL non root fs writes.  NFS wins, so do local (non root fs) ops.

But local processes aren't blocking on a disk write. Remote NFS
client processes are.

There's a small advantage still, in that the buffers are being moved
from main memory to battery backed memory, but that sort of thing
is better solved through raid or journaled filesystems.

------ David Fischer ------- dave at cca.org ------- http://www.cca.org ------
----- Being poked in the eye with a sharp stick makes baby jesus cry! -----