[rescue] Sun-Seagate drive firmware

Brian Hechinger wonko at 4amlunch.net
Wed May 29 13:10:07 CDT 2002

On Wed, May 29, 2002 at 01:09:40PM -0500, Bill Bradford wrote:
> > in addition to changine the ID banner, Sun also puts a serial number in the
> > firmware.  DiskSuite needs this, or it will puke all over itself.
>
> I've used disksuite with non-sun disks. a LOT.. with no problem.

do you still have access to them?  do 'iostat -E' and tell me if they have a
serial number:

ssd59    Soft Errors: 0 Hard Errors: 0 Transport Errors: 0
Vendor: FUJITSU  Product: MAB3045S SUN4.2G Revision: 1806 Serial No: 9833M91341
Size: 4.29GB <4292075520 bytes>
Media Error: 0 Device Not Ready: 0 No Device: 0 Recoverable: 0
Illegal Request: 0 Predictive Failure Analysis: 0

vs (the ones that won't work with SDS no matter how hard i tried):

ssd58    Soft Errors: 0 Hard Errors: 0 Transport Errors: 0
Vendor: DEC      Product: RZ1CF-CF (C) DEC Revision: 1614 Serial No:
Size: 4.29GB <4289443840 bytes>
Media Error: 0 Device Not Ready: 0 No Device: 0 Recoverable: 0
Illegal Request: 0 Predictive Failure Analysis: 0

notice the lack of serial number?  if i tried to put more than one of those in
a concat/stripe it would puke.  veritas has had zero problems with those disks.

-brian
--
Besides, statistics are different for computers.  Experience has taught
me that if you see one instance, it's an anomaly. If you see two, you're